Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Random Acts of Mail Art Kindness - part 2


A few more lovely artists have sent me pictures of their random acts of mail art kindness.

First up, one from Care:
"I immediately thought of my aunt Pat, whose paintings hung in my grandparents' house. Aunt Pat studied fine art at BGSU, and many years later I received a BFA from there, too. Pat lives across country from me now, and I've never really talked to her much about art or acknowledged the seeds of inspiration she unknowingly planted in my young mind. I took this opportunity to create a collage centered around an old b&w family photo of Pat as a little girl. I'm sending it along with an overdue thank you note."

Next is one from Jennifer:
"I made this postcard and decided to send to my aunt. She lives close but don't talk very often. Life can be tough for her so thought it might brighten her day."

Last is this from Tina:
"I've attached a PC that I sent as a thank you note.  I drive by a house that puts out a tremendous amount of decorations for each of Easter, Halloween, and Christmas. They have tons of giant blow ups, lights everywhere - just a chaotic mess of happiness. Each time I drive by, I laugh at the their exuberance. They have clearly chosen a way to stand out."


3 comments:

Cate Rose said...

I adore the last card, those eyes are fab on the elephant!

TinaW said...

The Shadows of Time card is particularly well done - I love how the photo blends in so well. And the colorful card from Jennifer is so much fun to look at. I'm sure they both made their recipients happy.

Unknown said...

I had to say that I got a good giggle out of the buxom, gray lady, batting her eyelashes, and I love the simple, stunning, color brilliance on Jennifer's piece.

And as for Care's, seeing her thoughtfulness at including the picture of her aunt reminded me of something my friend Collette said a couple of weeks ago. Collette and her family send out about 150 Christmas cards a year. One of her aunts was on that list, who, she said, never sent cards herself, but who always phoned Collette and her family every holiday.

One year, however, the aunt sent a very short note to Collette. It was handwritten on a simple piece of writing paper, and basically expressed in writing how meaningful the Christmas cards and family updates were to her each year.

The aunt died about a year ago, and Collette, as she shared the letter with me, said that this was the only letter her aunt ever sent her, and it was one that she cherished. Basically, Collette had always hoped that her cards made a difference to people, but she never really knew. The fact that her aunt told her was significant (especially now since the aunt has passed on), and Collette has that put that letter as a part of their family history records.

Post a Comment